Fresh Cut vs. Frozen Pt. 3
Considering frozen products vs. fresh from the labor & processing cost perspective.
Fresh vs. Frozen & Other Considerations
Storage SpaceReturn to Courses
- Does the outlet have more dry storage & refrigeration for fresh, or freezers for frozen?
- Processing fresh potatoes requires considerable work space & equipment (fryers, racks, trays, sinks, containers).
- How many days/week does the restaurant receive deliveries from the produce vendor or broadliner? Is one choice more practical than the other?
- How much will the market bear? Should the restaurant go fresh?
- If hourly wages are high (major cities, union houses) restaurants may choose frozen.
- Upscale restaurants may boast “never frozen” while a fast casual concept needs to keep labor lean.
- If a restaurant serves 50 guests per night, fresh cut might be perfectly sustainable. If the same restaurant triples their volume, they may need to choose the more efficient frozen product.